Scripts have been a PPC buzz word for awhile now. If you haven’t tried them in your accounts or seen any presentations about them, you might be wondering ‘what’s the big deal?’ Today I’ll walk you through the basics to help you answer that question and get you up to speed on this cool, advanced AdWords feature.
What are scripts?
According to the Google Developers site:
Where and how do you set up scripts?
First, navigate to Bulk Operations in the left-hand sidebar of your Adwords account, then choose Scripts.
From there, you’ll choose the red +Script button to create a new script.
At that point you can copy and paste an existing script of someone else’s or your own. Make sure to follow the instructions if you’re using someone else’s script, as there can be information needed from you for it to work properly. Name your script, authorize it by clicking the “Authorize Now” button, then click the red “Preview” button. We always recommend previewing your script before running it to ensure there are no errors.
If there were no errors, you can then save and run the script. You can also schedule your script to run at certain intervals: One Time, Hourly, Daily, Weekly or Monthly.
The Big List of Free Scripts
- Track Expanded Text Ad Performance
- Create Dynamic Ad Extensions
- Track Quality Score
- Track AdWords Competitors Over Time
- Pause Keywords with Zero Impressions
- Check for Broken URLs
- Set Up Real-Time Position Bidding
- Implement A 24 Hour Bidding Schedule
- Set Up Advanced A/B Testing
- Export AdWords Reports Into BigQuery
- Analyze Mobile Performance with PageSpeed Insights
- Implement TV Schedule Bid Coordination
- Utilize Account Auditor to Confirm Consistent Account Structure
- Simplify Negative Keyword Management with a Master Negative List
- Automate Ad Management with the Inventory-based Script
- Track Monthly Projections
- Update Countdown Ads with New Dates
- Identify Under Performing GDN Placements
- Load One AdWords Script Into Multiple Accounts
- Export Daily Metrics
Here are some publishers who have also compiled lists of helpful scripts that you should definitely look into:
Ultimately, considering the ease of set up and how much time scripts can save you, there’s really nothing holding you back from giving these a shot! A little bit of work on the front end can save you a lot of time in the long run.
What scripts have you tried in your accounts that have been helpful? Let us know in the comments!