It’s December and January will be here before you know it. And for our clients, that means completing Annual and/or Quarterly Reporting and/or Monthly reporting. Maybe you want to spruce your reports or make them a little more robust. Maybe you’re looking for ways to provide extra value or insights. Maybe you just need to change it up a little bit. If you do and you’re not sure what to include, then this is the post for you. I’m going to outline some ideas to help you make sure you have everything checked off your list and enhance your existing reports.
Looking Back in Your Reporting
This can be very overwhelming so the key here is to stay organized. Whenever possible, keep a running presentation with notes and draft slides in it going throughout the year. This will help you tremendously in the long run. These bullets have been put together for annual reporting but time-specific ones can be adapted as needed for other time periods. Here are some ideas of what you can include:
- Final annual recap of the previous year including high-level recaps
- Breakdowns by month and/or Quarter
- Key performance trends and KPIs
- Year over Year comparisons
- Highlight anything seasonally
- Summary of tests
- Outline key learnings, both positive and areas to pivot
- Outline of challenges and how you overcame them
- Include screenshots of top-performing and underperforming ads, CTAs, programs, etc.
- Recap continual maintenance tasks that are done weekly, monthly, or quarterly
- Add links to other assets, past reports, etc wherever you can
- For Search, look at auction insights changes quarter over quarter
- When appropriate, include goals and objectives moving into the next time period
- This might seem like a lot but if you break it down and take a few minutes every week to update your reporting template, you’ll thank yourself when it’s time to finish up your deliverables.
Looking Ahead in Your Reporting For Existing Channels
Now that you’ve done a recap of the past results, it’s time to look forward. Here are ways to set the tone for a positive future by showing areas of growth or testing in your existing channels
- New ad types or copy
- New opportunities that are in Beta
- Different campaign objectives
- Ad copy
- Budget increases/forecasts
- Other bidding strategies
Additionally, you can outline areas for improvement as part of your upcoming goals. Also, ask your reps if they can provide any supporting documentation here like decks for one of your strategies, seasonality, or competitor analysis (kuddos to our LinkedIn reps for providing the best competitor reports)
Looking Ahead in Expansion Channels
Help your clients think big by including a section or appendix for channels to consider for growth at every level of the funnel. This shows that you’re forward-thinking and showcases your knowledge of other platforms. These can be just high-level, visual slides to give room for education and discussion.
- Show ad examples, especially for competitors if you can find them.
- Potential forecasts of results
- Include results from another client, if you have it and its applicable
- Provide links for case studies or any other further reading about the channel
Looking Ahead With…You
Lastly, don’t be shy about showcasing your work or your colleagues work to continue to show your value! Include an “FYI” or “In case you missed it” section for further reading. This can include things like:
- Links to supporting industry updates, content, results, findings, etc. Bonus if it is from your blog
- Add links for you and your team’s LinkedIn profiles or even send a LinkedIn connect request if you haven’t already
- Tell more about you and your team to build rapport and trust.
The key bottom line for us here at Clix is that every client’s report is customized to their needs. No two reports look alike. Yes, it takes a lot of extra time, but it also ensures our clients are getting exactly what they need and when they need it. We also frequently ask if the reporting is still just right or if anything needs to be tweaked. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us on social or through our site.